On 07/22/2015 01:35 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> That must be using something other than the standard X11 clipboard
> copy/paste mechnism.  You shouldn't have to "right click copy", and
> many of the apps I paste into don't even have a "right click paste".
>
> It sounds like evince has abandoned the trie-and true X11 clipboard
> functionality that people have been using for 30 years.

Sadly, yes.  Gnome has indeed pushed to abandon this.  And the wayland
display server also abandons this, though it practice it do so by
pushing the implementation of such neat shortcuts into the toolkit
instead of the windowing system, and if the recent past is any
indication, GTK devs are not going to go out of their way to implement
middle click paste.  But perhaps someone will release patches to add it
into the popular GUI toolkits.  The Putty app on Windows implements this
style of pasting in the app, as an example.

I could be wrong but I think highlight and middle-click paste is a happy
accident that became a feature in X.  And there could be some
application security implications surrounding it, which is part of the
hesitancy of gnome developers, and wayland developers, to carry this
feature.

Though it seems to me Linux desktops are becoming more and more like
Windows in the ways that drove me to really like X11 desktops.  For
example, client-side decorations always bugged me in Windows especially
when an app would freeze and I couldn't move it.