On 23 August 2015 00:06:44 BST, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Precisely. Every time you support multiple versions of some
>dependency, you have to test your code on all of them, and in the
>common case (new features added in newer versions), you have to target
>the oldest and weakest version.

Just don't add features to older versions. They're in maintenance or bugfix
mode.

> When you're writing a Python program
>that has to run on CPython back as far as 2.4, there's a lot you can't
>do...

Just deprecate then drop the stuff you don't want to support any more. This is
part of the standard software lifecyle to me. If you care about your users that
might not be ready to upgrade provide security fixes for the older versions. If
you don't care, well I wouldn't want to use your software in production.

> dropping support for everything pre-2.7 lets you improve your
>code significantly. Does dropping support for Python 2.4 consist of
>"undercutting RHEL users"? Nope. It's that same pragmatism - I want a
>cleaner codebase.

RHEL 4 might still be supported (is it? haven't paid attention) but there
should be no obligation to provide new features.

Have a development branch or mainline, that doesn't stop you from having
"stable" rele