On 12/09/2015 01:11, random...@fastmail.us wrote:
On Fri, Sep 11, 2015, at 20:01, Michael Torrie wrote:
The secret to understanding the global keyword is to understand how
Python namespaces work.  The statement "a=5" does not assign a 5 to the
box called "a."  Rather it binds the name "a" to the "5" object, which
is immutable and called into existence by the interpreter
implementation.

In other words, it assigns a pointer to the "5" object [otherwise known
as "a 5"] to the box called "a". (And increments its reference count, if
you care about how the CPython garbage collector works)

If everything in Python is an object, how can it assign a pointer? Especially how do Jython and IronPython assign pointers?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence