On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 00:09:18 +1100
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> I don't believe that the Python mailing list archives are hosted in a
> country under the jurisdiction of European Law. If I'm right, then
> removing posts sets a dangerous precedent of obeying laws in foreign
> countries that don't apply.

For better or worse, that's not how defamation law works. Generally,
the defaming is regarded as happening where the material is read, i.e.
at the point of download. The location of upload, hosting etc is
irrelevant, although the uploader and the host can both be liable
along with the author. Of course, the point is moot if none of those
people has assets in that jurisdiction.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_Jones_%26_Co_Inc_v_Gutnick

On the specific point, I think it's possible to agree with both
Steven and Laura. It's a bad idea to obey laws that don't apply to
you if you'd rather not. It's also a good idea if possible to remove
defamatory material, not because it might be illegal, but because it's
defamatory.

Regards

John