On 30Oct2015 00:35, Marc Aymerich <glicer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Usually I use my home router (which has an attached HDD) for
downloading movies and stuff (big files) from the WAN... it has a
800Mhz mips cpu... anyway my experience with it is that:

rsync tops at ~400Kbps

Rsync is not a maximally efficient file transfer tool. What it excels at is incremental transfer, when you have some of a set of files, or a portion of a file you need to extend, such as updating a copy of a growing log file.

apache+wget tops at ~1.1Mbps
netcat tops at ~1.4Mbps

You might also try scp or sftp. On a LAN or if one endpoint is CPU constrained (probably the data source) you may find that compression is actually a lose. If your source data is already low redundancy (video, many audio formats, most image data, already compressed files like .gz or .zip) then compression is definitely a lose.

Finally, on a LAN you may be able to mount one end or the other as a remote filesystem. Then you can benchmark plain old "cp" over SMB or NFS etc.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>