On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 06:21:45 +0200, Steve Hayes
<hayes...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 15:20:13 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
><invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> My understanding of the term has always been that you upload from a
>>> smaller device to a larger, and download from a larger device to a
>>> smaller. Thus, from your laptop you might *up*load data to a Web server
>>> or a mainframe, but you would *down*load data to your phone or tablet.
>>
>>That's sort of the usage I'm used to, but it probably has more to do
>>with network topology than CPU power.  Servers on the internet are at
>>the top of the diagram, and embedded devices that can't access the
>>internet directly are at the bottom with my PC somewhere in the
>>middle.
>
>In my usage it all has to do with sending and receiving, like
>immigration and emigration.
>
>I UPload photos from my cell phone to Facebook.
>
>I DOWNload photos from my cell phone to my desktop computer.

To which I will add that uploading is sending, and downloading is
fetching.

So saying that Microsoft downloaded something to my computer is like
saying that someone fetched me a ltter when they actually sent it.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm