On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au>
>> wrote:
>> > Given how very often such decisions make my debugging tasks
>> > needlessly difficult, I'm not seeing how that's a desirable feature.
>>
>> What Steven's actually advocating is removing a difference between
>> Python code and native code.
>
> Sure, but his proposal is to move in the direction of *less* debugging
> information.
>
> If I could have the traceback continue into the C code and tell me the
> line of C code that raised the exception, *that's* what I'd choose.
>
> The debugging information barrier of the C–Python boundary is a
> practical limitation, not a desirable one. I think those barriers should
> be as few as possible, and don't agree with enabling more of them.

Hmm, maybe. Personally, I wouldn't find exception tracebacks any more
helpful for including a bunch of C code lines, but maybe that should
be something for tooling.

Actually, that's a possibility. If your traceback automatically
highlights the last line that isn't imported from sys.path, that might
cover the issue. Normally the error will be in your code, not some
library you imported. Everything that you got from "someone else" is
likely to be installed into sys.path somewhere. Might not be perfect,
but it'd be a start.

ChrisA