On 19/02/2016 18:14, wrong.addres...@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, 19 February 2016 16:08:46 UTC+2, Tim Chase  wrote:

All this I could do with one Read or Input statement in Fortran and Basic.

I agree with you completely. This stuff is far more complicated than it need be. And the fact that there a hundred possible ways of doing it doesn't help!

It seems modern languages don't like having i/o as part of the language but prefer to have function libraries deal with it. And it still seems to be largely DIY...

Although the approach used by Peter Otten doesn't seem too bad. Then you would end up writing something like this:

    a,b,c,d,e = readline(f, "iffii")

with f being a file handle. You'd need to deal with tokens (in the implementation of readline), but not individual characters of each number.

(Remember that Fortran and VB6 are be statically typed, so the language knows what types to read into each of those variables. And the Fortran might have a 'format' to help out, unless they've got rid of those since 1979...)

--
Bartc