On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 1:49:44 PM UTC-6, wrong.a...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am mostly getting positive feedback for Python.
>
> It seems Python is used more for web based applications. Is it equally fine
> for creating stand-alone *.exe's? Can the same code be compiled to run on
> Linux or Android or web-based?
>
> Is it possible to create GUI elements with a good IDE? Can they be defined
> like in Visual Basic with given sizes, fonts, visible/invisible, etc.?
>
> Is it easy to do matrix operations in Python? Or do I need to write
> subroutines like in Visual Basic?
>
> Could someone kindly tell me advantages and disadvantages of Python? Or any
> better options? I have like 40-50 VB Forms and may be around 20000 lines of
> code. It will be a task to learn a new language and translate/re-write that
> code.
>
> Thanks for your responses.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this tool called vb2py. It looks outdated,
but I actually used it successfully to convert vba code to python, once all
dependencies were installed correctly :)

http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/

You can also understand how vb objects map to python objects.

vb2py has also minimal support for GUI conversion.

Someone has even forked it on github recently:

https://github.com/reingart/vb2py