On 18Feb2016 10:03, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
On 2016-02-18, Ervin Hegedüs wrote:
I think that the psutil modul could be better for you for this
task:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/psutil/

and see the "Network" section.

if 'tun0' in psutil.net_if_addrs():
  # vpn is running

Brilliant!  I've used psutil for something else, but I didn't know it
did that too.  My excuse is that the version on my system was 2.2.1,
which does not do that, so I installed the newer version with pip3.
Thanks for pointing me to that.

You might also want to check that the interface is up.

My personal hack (not for a VPN, but for "being online", which turns my ssh tunnels on and off) is to look in the output of "netstat -rn" for a default route. This may imply that an alternative test for you is to test for a route to your VPN's address range? Just an idea.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>