On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 12:56:03 -0600, Wildman wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 19:26:55 +0100, Peter Otten wrote:
>
>> An exception is raised because you pass the command as a single argument
>
> <snip good stuff>
>
> I did not realize that how the command was passed would
> make such a difference.  I guess I am stuck in my old
> VB habits for creating variables.  You don't have to
> say it, this ain't VB!  :-)
>
> After making the changes to "command = ", it works fine
> without the shell.  At the risk of sounding redundant,
> thank you.

Ok, after some thought I think I understand what happened.
Since I had the command as a single element, bash was
required to parse the command therefore my code would
not run without shell=true.  That makes sense.

I may not be the fastest oar in the water but I will
eventually reach the shore. <g>

Thanks again for all your help.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453