Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll provide a single response:

1. Using backslash to continue... When I first started using Python in
the mid-90s I don't recall that parenthesized expressions could be
continued across lines (at least, not in all contexts), so the
backslash was required. I believe the parser change necessary to
support ( ... \n ... ) in all contexts was added precisely to minimize
the need for backslashes as continuation.

2. Changing the indentation of the continued lines... My brain thinks
the right thing to do is to what it currently does (line up continued
lines inside the indentation in the column following the left paren,
so I'm really not interested in using (\n or other variations which
allow me to fool the Python mode auto-indent feature. I'm pretty sure
the XEmacs python-mode.el did things the same way. A quick peek at
python.el didn't indicate an obvious way to change that offset to
something other than the default indentation. This is Emacs though. No
doubt there is a way. Since I like the current behavior, I'm not
inclined to go out of my way to figure it out.

3. Adding a comment... I do that where a comment is necessary, but it
doesn't suppress the error message.

I don't know. Maybe I need to ask the flake8 author about his
rationale for this message. It seems to me from my experience with the
language that this particular message is going against pretty common
practice. Does vim's Python mode exhibit similar behavior by default?
What about other editors/IDEs?

Thx,

Skip