On Saturday 05 March 2016 10:46:04 Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I've never heard of a massless photon,
>
> That is unfortunate as it should be common knowledge by now.
>
> > and they do exert a push on the surface they are reflected from, […]
>
> Photons exert a force on surfaces because they carry *momentum* or, as
> it had been understood in terminology that is obsolete now, a non-zero
> “*relativistic* mass” (that had been distinguished from “rest mass”).

To have "momentum" imply's mass in the real, we can measure it world.

However with my lack of education, I have a hard time reconciling that
they travel at C speed, when the classical math says that anything with
mass traveling at C speed will have aborbed enough energy in getting to
C speed, that its mass is then infinite. But its obviously not.

I once used relativity to explain to a degree'd FCC engineer exactly why
a UHF transmitter that used klystrons for amnplifiers, alway had a
backgound audio buzz. At the moment this was taking place, the station
was crippled as we'd had a circuit breaker failure, single phasing and
stopping the cooling water pump, which in turn destroyed the klystron
used as a visual amplifier (one circuit breaker boom as the building
went dark when the tube filled with steam, byby $120,000 USD), so just
to stay on the air, I had moved a weak & about used up klystron from the
aural cabinet to the visual cabinet, and tee connected the aural drive
into the visual drive.

When the engineer came in the door, one of the first things he had
noticed when he monitored the station from about 15 miles away the
previous evening, was that we were a UHF, but didn't have that annoying
background buzz in the sound.  So I had to explain it.

What we were observing was that by combining the two carrier signals into
one tube, meant that both signals were being treated equally to the
phenomenon they had called incidental carrier phase modulation, and its
created in the amplitude modulated signal because the 4 foot long
electron beam is traveling at a speed where speed vs mass is beginning
to make itself measureable. Said simply, the tube amplifies the signal
by nominally 30db, by introducing an electrical field across the input
cavities gap that alternately speeds up, or slows down, an electron
traverseing that gap with a 20 kilovolt induced speed. 4 feet and  3
more cavities later, those electrons are now bunched up, the ones in
front slowing to fall into the bunch, and the ones behind being pushed
to catch up with the bunch. That induces, because the beam is something
north of 5 amps, a considerable amount of power in the last cavity which
can be coupled back out and sent to the antenna, typically about 30 kw.

However, because this beam of electrons is traveling fast enough for
relativity to come into play, the energy applied to speed the beam up
encounters an electron with higher mass as it accelerates, whereas the
energy applied to slow it encounters an electron with lower mass, so the
deceleration is fractionally greater.  IOW, its not perfectly
symetrical, the net effect being that the average speed of the beam is
instantaneous power level dependent, the tube being effectively,
physically longer, with a longer transit time as the power level rises.
This is efffectively a frequency modulation, and an unwanted effect.

Some circuits, once the cause of the phenom was known, were designed to
predistort this by intruducing an opposing FM and cancel it, but by then
the heyday of the klysron amplifier was coming to an end because of its
horrible efficiency, that 30 kw of output came at a cost of a few hairs
over 100kw in the beam supply, making a UHF transmitter the local power
companies largest customer by a fairly wide margin. That tramsitter used
nearly 200 kw for every hour it was on the air, and multi-thousand
dollar power bills were getting the bean counters attention.

But when both signals, visual and aural, are subjected to the same
effect, AND the sound detection is based on the FM of the 4.5 megahertz
difference, it cancels out in the receiver. Later, while still operating
crippled, I made some aural signal to noise measurements, finding truely
amazing figures of nearly 80 db with video still applied, where when
operating with 2 klystrons as intended, it was hard put to make a bit
over 50 db.  It was such a problem that the FCC allowed us to make those
measurements with the baseband video cable unplugged when doing a proof
of performance, required for license renewal every 5 years back in those
days.

So in that scenario, I have first hand knowledge about relativity despite
my offical 8th grade education. Photons not having a mass but can exert
a push isn't something this 81 yo wet ram can quite figure out.  In my
mind, when the ball bounces, its mass exerts a push on the wall it was
bounced off of.  For a photon to do that, requires it have a mass,
however miniscule it might be, possibly just the mass of the light
energy its carrying.  Can that be quantified to a known value, probably
color dependent?
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass#Mass_in_relativity>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity#Relativistic
>_mass>
>
> F'up2 sci.physics.relativity
>
> --
> PointedEars
>
> Twitter: @PointedEars2
> Please do not cc me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)