On 27/03/2016 21:32, Tim Chase wrote:
On 2016-03-27 14:28, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

In this case, the two lines "fnc" and "next" simply look up the
function names, but without actually calling them. They're not
quite "no-ops", since they can fail and raise NameError if the name
doesn't exist, but otherwise they might as well be no-ops.

Which is actually useful.  I've got some 2.4 code that reads

   try:
     any
   except NameError:
     def any(...):

(with a similar block for all() )

I don't want to call any() or all(), I simply want to test whether
they exist.

But would it have been much of an imposition to have typed:

    try:
      test = any
    except NameError:
      def any(...):

? (Or any of the half dozen ways there must be to test the existence of a name.)

--
Bartc