On 4/23/2016 8:19 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
The reason you weren't taught beyond class inheritance is because Java
implements organization only through a class hierarchy. Whole
generations of Java programmers think that program organization is
through classes (a static main method means your code is procedural, by
the way).
I never wanted to learn Java in the first place. My community college couldn't afford to renew the Microsoft site license, which local employers required to learn C/C++ in MS Visual Studio, and all flavors of Java got taught for the programming classes instead. I wanted to learn C/C++. I even wanted to learn assembly language, but I was the only student who showed up for the class and it got cancelled.

Of course, it probably doesn't help that I got a job in help desk support after I graduated with A.S. degree in Java and never programmed professionally. Thinking like a programmer helped me resolved many IT problems over the last 12 years. My current job in computer security requires tinkering with PowerShell scripts as Python is strictly prohibited in this Windows shop. I have made Python my main programming language at home.

Thank you,

Chris R.