On 5/3/2016 10:13 PM, DFS wrote:
Wanted to start a new thread, rather than use the 'motivated' thread.

Can you play your game at the console?

Nope. Only displays the board on the console. An early version had the forward movement for pawns implemented.

The way I think about a chess engine is it doesn't even display a board. It accepts a move as input, records the move, analyzes the positions after the move, and returns the next move.

My code has display and engine as separate classes with a main loop coordinating things between the two. The main loop requests the board state (dict) from the engine class and passes that to show board on the display class.

Here's the UCI protocol.
http://download.shredderchess.com/div/uci.zip

Very interesting. Something to add to my research notes. I'll muddle through with my code and let it grow organically for now. If I decide to write a chess engine that implements the UCI protocol, I'll start over with a clean slate.

Thank you,

Chris R.