On 5/7/2016 2:22 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 5:17 AM, Christopher Reimer
<christopher_rei...@icloud.com> wrote:
Since the code I'm working on is resume fodder (i.e., "Yes, I code in Python! Check out my chess engine code on GitHub!"), I want it to be as Pythonic and PEP8-compliant as possible. That includes scoring 10/10 with pylint. Never know when an asshat hiring manager would reject my resume out of hand because my code fell short with pylint. For my purposes, I'm using the list comprehension over filter to keep pylint happy.
Wrong thinking. Make it Pythonic - but don't concern yourself with
pylint's final score. Read pylint's output and learn from it, but
don't treat a 10/10 score as the ultimate in ratings, because it just
isn't.
I agree with that in principle. But...
Also, be sure you read this part of PEP 8:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#a-foolish-consistency-is-the-hobgoblin-of-little-minds
Recruiters and hiring managers *are* hobgoblins with with little minds. And definitely not PEP8-complaint. :)

When I was out of work for two years (2009-10), underemployed for six months (working 20 hours per month), and filed for Chapter Seven bankruptcy in 2011, I only had 20 job interviews during that time. That was a learning experience. I did everything possible to present myself and my resume as perfectly as possible. When I had another bout of unemployment that lasted eight months (2013-14), I had 60 job interviews and three job offers to pick from at the end. Of course, that was for IT support contracts. Maybe programming jobs will have fewer hobgoblins.

Thank you,

Chris R.