On 01/07/2016 15:13, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

Sometimes we have a group of related functions and variables that belong
together, but are not sufficiently unrelated to the rest of the module that
we want to split them out into another file.

Here's a proof of concept. I use a class with a custom metaclass like this:

# Python 3 version
class ExampleNS(metaclass=Namespace):
    x = 1
    y = []

    def spam(n):
        return 'spam'*n

py> Example.spam(5)
'spamspamspamspamspam'

Why not just extend the capabilities of a class? I actually thought this would work until I tried it and it didn't:

class C():
    def fn():
        print ("Hi!")

C.fn()

The error message suggests Python knows what's going on. So why not just make it work?

(The main issue would be, if an instance X of C /was/ created, then X.fn() wouldn't work as there is no 'self' parameter for fn.)

--
Bartc