On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 7:50:39 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody :

> > [...]
> > Some other examples:
> > 1.
> > Aren’t makefiles data-driven?
>
> Yes, "make" should be added to my sin list.

If you treat make as elaboration on this theme:

target : source
TAB Imperative Action

it belongs to your 'sin' pattern if you concentrate on line 1
Not if you concentrate on line 2

So maybe it finds the sweet spot between the two??

> > [Personally Ive always believed that jam is better than make and is
> > less used for entirely historical reasons; something like half the
> > world eoling with crlf and half with lf. But maybe make is really a
> > better design because more imperative?]
>
> Don't know jam, but can heartily recommend SCons.

Likely true at some point
Probably not now: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2847730/c-build-systems
[ tup seems to be the rage; scons seems to have the worst performance]

> > 3. Scheme — the language but also the informal culture around SICP —
> > is where data-driven programming got installed as a sacred dictum.
> > Scheme doesn't seem to be doing too well of late… Coincidence??
>
> Lisp's "data is code and code is data" is a good principle. I have
> successfully used it with Python as well.

Heh Really?!?
I can tell you if a student of mine mixed up code and data like emacs-lisp
throwing customize *data* into user-config *code* (.emacs) he would be very
sorry...

> However, Scheme's syntax-rules are infamous.

No idea what you are talking about
Macros? Define-syntax's syntax? I-dont-like-all-those
Lots-of
Irritating
Single
Parentheses
?
Something else?

If you ask me Lisp failed because of out of kilter uncontrollable
superiority-complex