On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
> rocky <ro...@gnu.org>:
>
>> A slightly different but related problem is noting the Python dialect
>> at the package-level.
>
> I don't know what if anything is needed support this idea, but one
> option would be to just use "import":
>
>     import python3_5_17
>
> That would require Python and modules to install such empty modules to
> indicate that they support the given API.

Preferable:

from python import v35

Then a single 'python.py' could have lines for every supported
version, rather than forcing dozens of separate modules.

However, I don't think it's particularly necessary. Explicit version
number checks should be very rare, and shouldn't be encouraged.
Instead, encourage feature checks, as Steve gave some examples of.

ChrisA