On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:56:07 +0200
Joe <t...@joepgen.com> wrote:
> Am 30.08.2016 um 13:01 schrieb D'Arcy J.M. Cain:
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:21:05 -0700
> > Larry Hudson via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> >> I remember it well.  It's what I used to initially learn C.  I'm a
> >> completely self-taught, hobby programmer.  Been around since the
> >> MITS Altair.  How many remember that beast??
> >
> > Remember it and still have it in the basement.
> >
> I read a lot about the Altair in Byte in those days, but never had a
> chance to touch it. Wasn't it horrible expensive?

I can't remember what is was going for but I bought mine used for
$1,000.  It had a number of add-ons including a keyboard and floppy
drives.  The power supply was also beefed up.

It also had a replacement bezel.  It seems that the original Altair's
silk screened front panel was crappy and rubbed off easily.  Some
company sold one but it says "Cycloid" instead of "Altair" on it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net