On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:00:04 PM UTC+1, MRAB wrote:
> On 2016-09-14 18:43, Dale Marvin via Python-list wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure that in 5, 50, 500 or even 5000 years, the sun will still
> >> rise
> >> in the east, water will be wet, fire will burn, dogs will have mammary
> >> glands
> >> and frogs[1] won't, and the square root of 100 will still be 10.
> >>
> >> Isaac Asimov once wrote:
> >>
> >>     When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people
> >>     thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that
> >>     thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth
> >>     is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
> >
> >> http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm
> >>
> >> [1] Assuming that there are any frogs left by then.
> >>

> > Funny, Asimov's professors must have taught him the same false history
> > that I was taught at college. There's much evidence that medieval
> > scholars did not believe the earth was flat.
> >
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth>
> >
> Where does it say that he thought that _medieval_ scholars did not
> believe the earth was flat?

It is so blantantly obvious that the world is not flat I find this discussion
flabbergasting.  Anybody who has tried to take any form of vehicle up, or
probably more dangerously down, any form of hill knows that.  As for the raving
lunatics who make their living by riding up and down these
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-37348004, well need I say more?

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.