I've just installed Python 3.5 from the source tarball and received an
unexpected error related to pip. On Linux, as a regular user (except for
the last line):

wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.5.2/Python-3.5.2.tgz
tar xvf Python-3.5.2.tgz
cd Python-3.5.2
./configure
make
sudo make altinstall

There were no obvious errors until the end:

The directory '/home/steve/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not
owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the
permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you
may want sudo's -H flag.

Ignoring indexes: https://pypi.python.org/simple

The directory '/home/steve/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned
by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the
permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you
may want sudo's -H flag.

Can anyone explain what is going on, why I should care, and how I should fix
it?

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.