wrote in message news:2853d778-857e-46fc-96a0-8d164c098...@googlegroups.com...

在 2016年10月20日星期四 UTC+8下午11:04:38,Frank Millman写道:
wrote in message

Hi Frank,

thanks for your kind help. What confused me is at this line:

>>> r = r.setdefault('b', {})

and its previous one

>>> r = r.setdefault('a', {})

When r.setdefault('a',{}) is run, I understand it will return an empty {}. At this time both r & t reference to {'a':{}}, right? So when "r = r.setdefault('a',{})" is run, r reference to {} while t keeps the same as {'a':{}}.

then comes r.setdefault('b',{}). What hinder me is here. since r has changed its reference to {}, r.setdefault('b',{}) will return {} again. So what does this done to t? why at this time t changes to {'a':'b':{}}? Sorry for my silly here. Thanks

I don't know if you have been following the other posts in this thread.

There were some posts from Anssi Saari who was also confused by this, but then yesterday he sent a post saying that he has now 'got it'.

I don't think I can do better than quote his explanation of what is happening -

"""
OK, so what happens is that now t references the dictionary with {'a': {}} and r references the empty dict inside that.

So when we assign to r again, it's the empty dict inside t (the one accessed by key 'a') that changes to {'b': {}} and t becomes {'a': {'b': {}}}.
"""

That is exactly right.

Does that help?

Frank