In <o249l7$knc$1...@dont-email.me> DFS <nos...@dfs.com> writes:

> > Shells don't just repeat the characters you type, they interpret them.

> Yes, I see that now.  I still don't think bash/shell should alter the
> input going to another program.

But that's one of the reasons *to* use a shell!

  ls *.c                    ERROR No file named "*.c"
  ls > output               ERROR No file named ">"
  rm 'a file name'          ERROR No file named "'a file name'"
  cd ~/foo/bar              ERROR No file named "~/foo/bar"
  cat $HOME/file.txt        ERROR No file named '$HOME/file.txt'
  vi $(grep -l foo *.txt)   ERROR No file named '$(grep -l foo *.txt)'

None of these commands would work if bash didn't "alter the input going to
another program".

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gor...@panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears