On 22/02/17 17:38, Peter Pearson wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:33:31 +0530, Ganesh Pal wrote:
[snip]
I  need suggestion on the if statement in the below code  , all that I was
trying to do was to add a check  i.e if any one of the functions return
True then  break the loop.

 end_time = time.time() + 300
    umount_completed = False
    while time.time() < end_time:
        if attempt_umount() is True or df_output_lines() is True:
           logging.info("umount completed sucessfully")
           umount_completed = True
           break
        time.sleep(15)
    assert umount_completed, "ERROR: The umount failed Exiting"

The if statement is healthy and reasonable.

Quite to the contrary, the if statement should be discouraged with great vigour unless the OP is certain that the functions return only the object True for success, and not just values that are true in a boolean context.

  if attempt_umount() or df_output_lines():

is far more likely to do what you expect.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd