On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:50 am, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> the 8-column interpretation is the only defensible use for
> tabs.

Oh, that's a law of physics is it? "8 columns per tab" is one of the
fundamental mathematical or physical constants baked into the nature of
reality, like

π ≈ 3.14159...
e ≈ 2.71828...
Feigenbaum constant δ ≈ 4.66920...
gravitational constant G ≈ 6.673e-11 N m**2 kg**-2
fine structure constant α ≈ 7.297351e-3

etc. And here I was, in my ignorance, thinking that it was a mere
convention, something that could trivially be made a config option for
those tools which actually needed it:

  --tabwidth=4

But I guess that's just as silly as redefining π as 3 exactly.

--
Steve
299792.458 km/s — not just a good idea, it’s the law!