On 03/19/2017 05:46 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
1. Fernet symmetric encryption, which is fine, but needs me to manage
the key safely (and offers no help in doing that) 2. X509, whose docs
are a reference (that you need to understand X509 to follow) and a
couple of tutorials on generating/requesting keys. Nothing on using
X509 for encryption.

Actually, even loading an X.509 certificate from a PEM file requires
a backend, which means delving into the "hazmat" area.

I'm not saying that some crypto functions require careful handling; they
obviously do. But is default_backend one of them?