On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 1:20:05 PM UTC+5:30, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 22-04-17 om 13:17 schreef Rustom Mody:
> >> I don't know. I think a concept like welcoming is too complex, to draw such
> >> simple conclusions. First of all we have to make a choice about the public
> >> we
> >> want to be welcoming to. I'm rather confident we can agree we don't want to
> >> be welcoming to bigots on this list.

> > Generally agree
> > [though I wonder how you will decide what constitutes a 'bigot'. Look at the
> > suggestion in the very subject of these threads]
>
> Well that's a tough one off course since research seems to suggest we are all
> bigots to some degree. So if I see behaviour that looks biggoted, I tend to
> wait to see how the person reacts after others have pointed out the possible
> problematic nature of his behaviour.
>
> Of course there is the problem of how sensitive we should all be. Is it so
> problematic if I use an idiom like: "How could I have been so blind". Is
> such an idiom really a slight vs blind people?
>
> >> Do you think critising any idea in one's signature is enough to conclude
> >> that
> >> this person doesn't wish this list to be welcoming?
> > Lets try a thought-experiment:
> > A: Islam is glorious
> > B: Religion is garbage
> > C: Christ is the best
> >
> > Will these statements get equal treatment as spam/as censure etc if they
> > appear
> > on this list?
>
> That doesn't seem to be fair, since only one is being critical.
>
> What about:
> D: Homeopathy/Astrology is bunk.

Astrology is bunk…

Or is it 'fake-news' ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/can-a-full-moon-really-affect-our-behavior/2016/01/15/8de3018e-b940-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html

Maybe the idea that tides are controlled by the moon
and that people awake and sleep with the sun is also fake?

The influence of Jupiter, Saturn, etc is — for astrology-buffs at least — just a
refinement of the influence of the sun, moon