On 07/27/2017 02:31 AM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
I'd like to add that what you should really be looking for is
not a Python programmer as such, but simply a good, competent
programmer.

Any decent programmer will be able to quickly pick up what
they need to know about Python on the job. If they can't,
then they're not good enough, and you shouldn't hire them.

I'll second that. I once had to build a team of Python developers for a major project. The pool of actual Python programmers was small so we just advertised for programmers. In the interviews we used a test that used C to determine their problem solving skills. We also looked for new grads so that they didn't have to un-learn a bunch of stuff. We wound up with an amazing team that managed to build the project in record time.

Lesson: Look for programmers, not Python (or Perl or C or C++ or Java or...) programmers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.