On 9/13/2017 3:09 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

I tried to write a small (but non-trivial) Tcl app once[1], and would
happily vote to bury Tcl and then might even dance on its grave.
Tkinter, OTOH, is great for small, simple GUI apps -- with a few
caveats:

  1. You have to grit your teeth because you know there's a Tcl
     interpreter buried in the details.

  2. When you package up a trivial Tkinter application using something
     like py2exe, it balloons up to a ginormous size (way larger than
     the equivalent app written using wxPython).  I assume this is
     caused largely by 1.

  3. No matter how hard you try, Tkinter apps always look a bit
     foreign.  I've just given up trying to them to look like native
     apps: it doesn't work, and it annoys the mule.

Relative to past Windows, Win 10 looks a bit foreign. On Windows, tk pretty much uses native widgets. The ttk versions are a bit better on Windows, definitely better on linux, and apparently even more better on Mac. Did you use them?

[1] After wasting several days fighting with TCL's quoting sematics, I
     gave up and wrote the app in Scheme (and was done in a couple
     hours).

--
Terry Jan Reedy