On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 10:21:55 PM UTC+1, John Ladasky wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:01:03 PM UTC-7, Terry Reedy wrote:
> > On 9/16/2017 7:04 PM, b...@g...com wrote:
> <snip>
> > The particular crippler for CLBG problems is the non-use of numpy in
> > numerical calculations, such as the n-body problem.  Numerical python
> > extensions are over two decades old and give Python code access to
> > optimized, compiled BLAS, LinPack, FFTPack, and so on.  The current one,
> > numpy, is the third of the series.  It is both a historical accident and
> > a continuing administrative convenience that numpy is not part of the
> > Python stdlib.
>
> OK, I found this statement intriguing.  Honestly, I can't function without
> Numpy, but I have always assumed that many Python programmers do so.
> Meanwhile: most of the time, I have no use for urllib, but that module is in
> the standard library.
>
> I noticed the adoption of the @ operation for matrix multiplication.  I have
> yet to use it myself.
>
> So is there a fraction of the Python community that thinks that Numpy should
> in fact become part of the Python stdlib?  What is the "administrative
> convenience" to which you refer?

My very opinionated personnal opinion is that many third party libraries are
much better off outside of the stdlib, numpy particulary so as it's one of the
most used, if not the most used, such libraries.

My rationale is simple, the authors of the libraries are not tied into the
(c)Python release cycle, the PEP process or anything else, they can just get on
with it.

Consider my approach many blue moons ago when I was asking when the "new" regex
module was going to be incorporated into Python, and getting a bit miffed in my
normal XXXL size hat autistic way when it didn't happen.  I am now convinved
that back then I was very firmly wrong, and that staying out of the stdlib has
been the best thing that could have happened to regex.  No doubt MRAB will
disagree :)

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.