Hi,

   if I understand the documentation of the tarfile module correctly writing

   TarfileObject.add(".../path/to/filename", recursive=False)

   means that the directory structure of the file object will not be included
   in the archive.

   In the following script only "testtext1.pdf" is stored outside a directory
   structure. The other files are always stored in a directory structure;
   using recursive=False does not have any effect.

   ============

   #!/usr/bin/env python3
   #
   import argparse
   import sys
   import tarfile
   import os

   arch = "Archive.tgz"
   os.unlink(arch)
   try:
       TO = tarfile.open(name=arch, mode='x:gz')  # Tarfile object
       TO.add("testtext1.pdf")
       TO.add("./testtext2.pdf")
       TO.add("./testtext3.pdf", recursive=False)
       TO.add("./files/testtext4.pdf")
       TO.add("./files/testtext5.pdf", recursive=False)
       TO.close()
   except FileExistsError as err:
       pass

   =========

   Is my understanding correct or what do have to do so that the files are
   stored without any directory information?

   Thanks for any hints.

   --

   K.D.J.