On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Mikhail V <mikhail...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> PS Off-topic:
>> I have a related observation regarding popularity of software.
>> There is such a program "VLC", which is a video player. Some would
>> think it is sort of best free player, etc. I was also under impression,
>> but then I've found a video player called "MPC-HC".
>> I have started to use it and quickly understood that it is by far more
>> superior player than VLC, literally by all core parameters - performance,
>> codec support, customizable key bindings with a lot of internal commands.
>> (Remark for Linux users: there is no Linux version of that player, it
>> is Windows-only)
>
> I went to https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/
> and it says:
>
> <quote>
>
>  July 16, 2017  XhmikosR
>
> v1.7.13, the latest, and probably the last release of our project…
>
> For quite a few months now, or even years, the number of active
> developers has been decreasing and has inevitably reached zero. This,
> unfortunately, means that the project is officially dead and this
> release would be the last one.
>
> …Unless some people step up that is.
>
> So, if someone’s willing to really contribute and has C/C++
> experience, let me know on IRC or via e-mail.
>
> Otherwise, all things come to an end and life goes on. It’s been a
> nice journey and I’m personally pretty overwhelmed having to write
> this post.
>
> Thanks to everyone who has contributed in any way all these years;
> Remember, MPC-HC is an 11-year old project.
>
> </quote>

If it wants new life, it's probably going to need a Linux version,
because that's where a lot of developers hang out. The reality is that
open source developers are much more likely to develop on Linux than
on Windows; you can maintain a Windows port of a Linux program with
fewer Windows experts than maintaining the entire program on Windows.

The other option, though, would be for the useful parts to become
feature suggestions for VLC.

ChrisA