Jon Ribbens <jon+use...@unequivocal.eu> writes:

> On 2017-10-12, Ben Bacarisse <ben.use...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Normally, with a Python-based framework, you don't need _any_ web
>>> server configuration. You simply define your URL routing within the
>>> Python code. The only thing the web server needs to know is where to
>>> find the web app, and that's sufficiently standard that it can be done
>>> off-the-shelf; for instance, you push your code to Heroku, and they
>>> set everything up to pass requests to your app. Not possible with PHP,
>>> since you need *custom* web server config to manage your rewrite
>>> rules.
>>
>> That's at odds with what I've read online which admittedly may be all
>> junk.  I wanted to try Flask so I installed the Ubuntu packages but then
>> got stuck on a huge document that suggested I needed to install things
>> called Nginx and Gunicorn.  You've now mentioned another: Heroku.  I'm
>> sure the complex instructions I found are not really required -- it was
>> probably just the usual "this is what I did so this is how it's done"
>> document, but I'm having trouble finding the simpler way to do it.
>>
>> Since no web server configuration is needed (I have a working Apache
>> installation that mirrors, as closely as possible, what my hosting
>> provider uses) it should be relatively easy.  Can you tell me, or can
>> you point me to a resource that tells me, where to put the app?  I don't
>> yet know what "push your code to Heroku" means.
>
> "don't need _any_ web server configuration" is rather, er, optimistic.

It did seem so.  I could not imagine any way it would "just" work unless
it was already set up to "just work".

> For Apache you'd need the mod_proxy_uwsgi module installed, and the
> config would be something like this:
>
>     DocumentRoot /srv/www/appname/appname
>     <Location />
>         ProxyPass uwsgi://127.0.0.1:3031/
>     </Location>
>     <Location /static/>
>         ProxyPass !
>     </Location>
>
> and you need an app container listening on the port defined above,
> e.g. uwsgi with config like:
>
> /etc/uwsgi/apps-available/appname.ini:
>
>     [uwsgi]
>     plugin = python3
>     socket = 127.0.0.1:3031
>     threads = 4
>     master = 1
>     chdir = /srv/www/appname
>     module = appname:app
>     # https://github.com/unbit/uwsgi/issues/1126
>     wsgi-disable-file-wrapper = true
>
> and you'll need something to run uwsgi on system startup.

I see.  If I'm reading this right, the app requests are passed through
to another server -- uWSGI.

How does this typically work on low-cost hosting?  I may be able to set
up the ProxyPass locally (i.e. in .htaccess) but I won't be able to
write /etc/uwsgi/apps-available/appname.ini.  Maybe there are a locally
defined .ini files that uwsgi reads?

As for running something on startup...  I suppose I can ask.  Maybe it's
usual to run it anyway.

--
Ben.