On 2017-10-12, Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/10/17 16:06, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Today I Learned.
>>
>> It sure was an education the first I wrote C code for
>> a machine where
>>
>>   1 == sizeof char == sizeof int == sizeof long == sizeof float == sizeof
>> double
>>
>> All were 32 bits.
>
> Ah yes.  In my case it was 16 bits, so sizeof long == 2 just for a
> little variation.

It does help when a char is an integral number of octets.  Working
with a machine where everything is 20 bits would be even worse.

I wonder if anybody ever designed a CPU where the word size was odd?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! How many retured
                                  at               bricklayers from FLORIDA