Den 2017-10-28 skrev Karsten Hilbert <karsten.hilb...@gmx.net>:
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 08:41:34PM +0000, Martin Schöön wrote:
>
>> It seems something is amiss with my Python 2.7 installation. Revisiting
>> Nikola (static web site generator written in Python) for the first time
>> in several years the other day I experience some unexpected problems. I
>> got some help form the Nikola people and the conclusion is something
>> is broken with my Python 2.7. Pip list throws exceptions at me
>> All this is happening on a Debian machine.
>
> Exceptions or crashes of the python interpreter ?
>
> Karsten

Exceptions. (Disclaimer: I am not a Python expert).

Today I tried pip --version and got the following:
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:1892:
UserWarning: /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rpl-1.5.5.egg-info could not
be properly decoded in UTF-8
  warnings.warn(msg)

Reinstalling Python and pip makes no difference. pip3 --version throws
no warnings.

/Martin