On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Israel Brewster <isr...@ravnalaska.net> wrote:
> Gotcha, thanks. The hesitation I have there is that the UWSGI config is a
> user setting. Sure, I can set up my install to only run one process, but
> what if someone else tries to use my code, and they set up UWSGI to run
> multiple? I hate the idea of my code being so fragile that a simple user
> setting change which I have no control over can break it. But it is what it
> is, and if that's the only option, I'll just put a note in the readme to
> NEVER, under any circumstances, set UWSGI to use multiple processes when
> running this app and call it good :-)

IMO that's not a problem. People have gotten into the bad habit of
assuming that all requests are independent, and that's something that
is OFTEN true, but can leak. That's why some web sites randomly log
you out now and then - because you landed on a different instance of
the web server, and it doesn't have your login (because they messed up
the sharing across nodes). For something like this, where different
clients directly interact with each other, it's entirely reasonable to
demand that they all be handled by a single process.

In MUDs, it's normal to run a single process for all clients. Of
course, MUDs aren't heavy-weight, but it's possible to handle a
thousand concurrent clients without a blip on the CPU monitor. You'd
be surprised how many HTTP clients you can manage on a single process,
as long as you have the RAM for it.

ChrisA