On 11/25/2017 5:12 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:05 AM,  <wojtek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, my goal is to obtain an interpreter that internally
uses UCS-2. Such a simple code should print 65535:

   import sys
   print sys.maxunicode

This is enabled in Windows, but I want the same in Linux.
What options have I pass to the configure script?

You must be trying to compile 2.7. There may be Linux distributions that compile this way. If you want to use, or ever encounter, non-BMP chars, using surrogate pairs is problematical. By my reading of the official UCS-2 docs, Python's old 16-bit unicode implementation is not fully compliant. Others have claimed that is it not a UCS-2 implementation.

Why do you want to? What useful value do you have in creating this
buggy interpreter?

Ever since Python 3.3, that has simply not been an
option. The bug has been solved.

If you want to seriously work with unicode, many recommend using modern Python.

--
Terry Jan Reedy