Skip Montanaro wrote:

>> I'm 99.5% certain it's not gate_news.
>
> A funny thing. All messages I have looked at so far with the "nospam"
> thing have a Message-ID from binkp.net. (They are also all Usenet
> posts.) For example:
>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
> Subject: Re: I have anaconda, but Pycharm can't find it
> Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 22:40:00 +1200
>
> Any ideas how to investigate further?

Try to contact them, or, more likely him.
They seem to be into retro-computing, and there is a line

According to

http://software.tomsweb.net/soupgate.html

development of that software ended around 2000. There is a bugfix

"""
* Fixed bug in SoupGate that would cause hosted mailing
  list messages and commands to be processed normally
  even if they were detected as being junk mail; this
  could cause quite an interesting game of virtual tennis
  between SoupGate and "Mail Delivery Subsystem"...
"""

While not exactly the same, "virtual tennis" seems to be a good description
of what we see now, only 17 years later...