On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> I have solved the gethostbyname() problem by implementing the DNS
>>> protocol myself (in Python).
>>
>> Do you respect /etc/nsswitch.conf?
>
> No, but I don't need to.

Ah, right. Until the day you're wrestling with "why doesn't /etc/hosts
apply to this program". Yep, you totally don't need nsswitch.

>>> Where did I say that?
>>
>> You talk about them as if they're fundamentally different.
>
> In this discussion I was referring to the fact that you can interrupt a
> coroutine while that is generally not possible to do to a blocking
> thread.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "blocking thread". Whether it's a
coroutine or not, you can't interrupt gethostbyname(); and whether
it's a coroutine or not, you CAN interrupt any syscall that responds
to signals (that's the whole point of EINTR).

ChrisA