alister <alister.w...@ntlworld.com>:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 10:35:58 +1200, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> Then how does my Linux box know that when I double-click on a text
>> file, it launches kwrite rather than (say) the Gimp or LibreOffice?
>>
>> When I right-click on a mp4 video, I get a menu that includes a Open
>> With command that shows (amount others) Kaffeine, mplayer and VLC.
>>
>> If you mean the Linux *kernel* doesn't do file associations, then you
>> should have said so.
>>
>> But why do you care about the kernel? Would you think it even the
>> *tiniest* useful to claim that "Linux doesn't do email" because it is
>> sendmail or postfix (or similar) that sends email rather than the
>> Linux kernel itself?
>
> Linux does not associate by file extn it uses a 'magic' file to
> analyse the content of the file so that it runs the correct
> application regardless of the file extn.

"Linux" is one of those words that has ceased to have much meaning.
Personally, I wouldn't think "double-clicking on a text file" has
anything to do with linux. I use linux during most of my waking hours
but I don't remember ever "double-clicking on a text file".

BTW, with the triumph of systemd, I would say linux is falling ever more
to the background. I am thinking more and more that "Linux" is a bad
generic name for the modern distros. Instead, we should talk about
"systemd" as the overall name of the OS. Linux really is a relatively
minor component in the mind of the user or the application developer.
For example, Linux doesn't dictate how one should develop a system
service; systemd calls the shots.

Marko