Am 14.12.17 um 02:55 schrieb Chris Angelico:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:42:54 PM UTC-6, eryk sun wrote:
[...]
That said, I don't see this feature as being very useful
compared to just using "open with" when I occasionally need
to open a file with a non-default program.

That's the point i was trying to make, but i think it may
have whoooshed over Chris's head. ;-)

No, it didn't. I just happen to have about twelve years' experience
with a GUI system that has this as a feature, and I found it extremely
helpful. It's funny how our experience colours our expectations, isn't
it? We just won't settle for trash once we've tasted quality.

I'm still unconvinced that this is much different from the Windows way (though I haven't used OS/2, so I'm probably missing something):

Suppose, you have a file "Letter.txt" in your Documents folder on Windows. With standard settings, the "dumb" user (non IT expert) does not see the ".txt". It shows up as "Letter" with an icon for "written text". If you double click on it, Notepad will come up. If you right click, you'll see a list of programs which can open text files: Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word, any other editor you might have installed.

How is the file extension different (to the regular user!) than a file type information stored in an alternate stream? Both are normally invisible and determine a default application as well as a number of programs which can open/edit the file.

The only thing I can see from your description, apparently it was possible to change the default for an individual file ("Open this file always with Wordpad instead of Notepad") without changing th eglobal default. Is this the missing feature?

        Christian