On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Jugurtha Hadjar
<jugurtha.had...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/25/2018 03:25 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> None.foo will raise AttributeError.
>>

> Right.. As I said, I tried to assume as little as possible about OP's code
> and namespace. Didn't want to include C1 in __init__ signature because I
> wasn't sure it was available in the namespace.
>
> It is easy to address, though:
>
> Example A:
>
> class C2(object):
>      def __init__(self, parent=C2):
>          self.parent = parent

This doesn't work as written (try it!)

> Furthermore, having a positional argument will not save us. We can still
> break the code if we do the following:
>
> class C2(object):
>     def __init__(self, parent):
>         self.parent = parent
>     def foo(self):
>         self.parent.foo()
>
> c1 = C1()
> c2 = C2(None)
> c2.foo()
>
> Making it positional didn't fix our wickedness.

The difference is that in this case the fault is on the caller for
passing a nonsense value. In the original the fault is on the class
author for providing a useless default and implying that the argument
is not required.