On Monday 26 March 2018 12:12:46 Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:30:54 -0400, Gene Heskett
> <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> declaimed the following:
> >On Monday 26 March 2018 10:06:36 Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>       <SNIP>
>
> >>    As I recall, the bootloader on the Raspberry Pi runs on the
> >> graphics processor, and it sets up the memory image for Linux
> >> before passing control to the ARM processor.
> >
> >Does that come with docs on how to change kernels in case the one you
> > are running has to be rebooted 2-10 times to get the keyboard/mouse
> > ducks all in a row so it doesn't randomly throw away events?
>
>       If Broadcom hasn't changed things, the bootloader is a black-box blob
> provided by Broadcom to the R-Pi foundation. The Linux kernel likely
> falls under regular Linux image management (the bootloader doesn't
> contain the Linux image, just runs on the graphics processor to load
> Linux). I don't think R-Pi uses U-Boot (whereas the BeagleBone Black
> is shoving everything into U-Boot -- making most of the BBB text books
> out-of-date as the kernel no longer loads device tree overlays,
> they've been pre-loaded by U-Boot)

Which to me, isn't a lot of help. But, thats broadcom...

Too bad I can't put a bounty on them. It seems to me that any outfit with
more lawyers than engineers ought to fall over from top heavy and foot
damage eventually, but they seem to be the exception to that rule.

OTOH, its even harder to get any usable info out of Pine to facilitate
using an rtai kernel on a product of theirs called a rock64.  Which can
build that kernel in under an hour. And it does use u-boot, or claims
to.  Here we have another credit card sized boy wonder computer thats
probably 10x or more faster than a top of the line pi, with a usb3 port,
and the info as to how to make it work seems locked in a safe behind
non-disses they can't even admit to.

Hell of a way to run a train.  Thanks Dennis.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)