brg...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 3:08:28 AM UTC-4, Peter Otten wrote:
>> brg...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > I typed the If part of an If/Else statement, but did not get a prompt
>> > at the beginning of the next line when I hit return. Instead, the
>> > cursor lined up under the "p" of "print." Here is the line of text
>> > (it's part of a longer bit of coding, I copied out of a textbook).

>> >        print("This minute seems a little odd.")    [Return]
>> >
>> > You can't see it, but the cursor is blinking under the "p."
>> >
>> > Why is this happening and what's the fix?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tamara
>>
>> It works as designed; the interpreter has no way of knowing whether you
>> are about to write another line belonging to the if suite, like in
>>
>> if foo:
>>    print("clearing foo")
>>    foo = False
>>
>> That's why you have to hit <return> twice to trigger execution of the
>> code.
>>
>> By the way, when you copy (or write) a "longer bit" I recomend that you
>> put the code into a py file so that you don't have to retype it when you
>> want to make a small modification. Instead you can just hit F5 and see
>> the effect of your changes.
>
> Thanks, Peter, for your quick reply. But here's what happened. When I hit
> <return> twice, the cursor did go back to the margin, but skipped two
> lines before doing so. Then when I hit <return> after "else:" I got an
> error message again. What did I do wrong?

I'm sorry, I did not read your question carefully enough, and missed the
"else" part. Please read Terry's correction of my advice.

> Also, could you please tell me
> how to create a py file. Thanks.

Choose "New File" in the "File" menu, then write your code in the window
that pops up, save with "Save" (pick a meaningful name that does not collide
with any name in Python's standard library) and finally run with "Run
Module" in the "Run" menu.