Hello,

We have several internal modules we have developed that are used mostly to
read different types of data files. Most of the time the different data
file formats come with some sort of DLL or SO files that gives a standard
interface to read the files. Our design pattern is to create a python
library that uses ctypes to interface with the shared library.

To be clear we are not building the shared libraries these are usually
provided by another group or distributed by a  third party.

So the issue is I want to bundle these share libraries with the module into
a wheel or sdist package to server off our local PyPiServer. I have combed
though the documentation on the setup.py and setuptools and I cannot figure
out a simple way to do this. Currently we are just adding them as datafiles
but this means that the wheels are not named with a particular platform and
thus we need to bundle all the different possible shared libraries with it.

Additionally using the data files method always puts the share library in
the same directory as the Python source while this works I wasn't certain
if there is a more appropriate place for the libraries in the Python
installation.

So in summary:
1. How do I create a setup.py to bundle the appropriate share library into
a wheel for a given platform and name the wheel properly.
2. Where is the most appropriate spot to stick these shared libraries?

Most of our work is done in Windows but we have some modules that we use on
Linux as well. We have both 32 and 64 bit environments. We are currently
using Python 3.6.

Thanks

Chris