Yup, I can see this, I do use """ in a number of ways, often to comment out
large chunks of code. (OK, I probably should not, but I do).

> - indentation is the part of TQS. That is of couse by design
>   so and it's quite logical, though it is hard-coded behaviour and thus
>   does not make the presentation a natural part of blocks containing
>   this string.
> - appearance: imagine you have some small chunks of embedded
>   code parts and you will still have the closing """ everywhere -
>   that would be really hairy.

And yup, that does cause some challenges sometimes.

> Explanation:
> [here i'll use same symbol /// for the data entry point, but of course it can
> be
> changed if a better idea comes later. Also for now, just for simplicity - the
> rule
> is that the contents of a block starts always on the new line.
>
> So, e.g. this:
>
> data = /// s4
>     first line
>     last line
> the rest python code
>
> - will parse the block and knock out leading 4 spaces.
> i.e. if the first line has 5 leading spaces then 1 space will be left in the
> string.
> Block parsing terminates when the next line does not satisfy the indent
> sequence (4 spaces in this case).
> Another obvious type: tabs:

OK, I CAN see this as a potentially useful suggestion.  There are a number of
times where I would like to define a large chunk of text, but using tqs and
having it suddenly move to the left is painful visually.  Right now, I tend to
either a) do it anyway, b) do it in a separate module and import the variables,
or c) do it and parse the string to remove the extra spaces.

Personally though, I would not hard code it to knock out 4 leading spaces.   I
would have it handle spaces the same was that the existing parser does, if
there are 4 spaces indending the next line, then it removes 4 spaces, if there
are 6 spaces, it removes 6 spaces, etc... ignoring additional spaces within the
data-string object.  Once it hits a line that has the same number if indenting
spaces as the initial token, the data-string object is finished.

> data = /// t1
>     first line
>     last line
> the rest python code
>
> Will do the same but with one tabstop character.

Tabs / spaces should be handled as normal (up to the data-string object starts,
after which, it pulls off the first x tabs or spaces, and leaves anything else)

> Actually that's it!
> Some further ideas:
>
> data = /// ts
> - "any whitespace" (mimic current Python behaviour)
>
> data = /// s        # or
> data = /// t
> - simply count amount of spaces (tabs) from first
>   line and proceed, otherwise terminate.
>
> data = /// "???"
> ??? abc foo bar
> ???
>
> - defines indent character by string: crazy idea but why not.

Nope, don't like this one... It's far enough from Python normal that it seems
unlikely to not get through, and (personally at least), I struggle to see the
benefit.

> Language  parameter, e.g.:
> data = /// t1."yaml"
>
> -this can be reserved for future usage by code analysis tools or dynamic
> syntax highlighting.

I can see where this might be interesting, but again, I just don't see the
need, if the spec returns a string, you can use that string in any parser you
want. If you want to customize how it's handled, then you can always create a
custom object for it.

> That's just a rough specification.
>
> What should it give as result:

To me, this seems like a simply additional specification for a TQS, with the
only enhancement being that it's an indented TQS basically, so the return is a
string.

> 1. No clash with current TQS rules - less worries
>   about reserved characters.
>
> 2. Built-in indentation parsing parameter makes it more or
>   less natural continuation of Python blocks and is char-precise,
>   which is very important here.
>
> 3. Independent of the indent of containing block!
>
> 4. Parameter descriptor can be developed in such manner
>    that it allows more customisation and additions in the future.

I would not argue about this being in the spec, but it seems like a un-needed
complexity.