Thank you.
You are very right. The show() method is intended for debugging purposes and is useful for that, but what method should I be using and is PIL the best imaging library for my purposes? I do not want to manipulate images, I only want to show images (full screen) on an external display. I want to use Python to control the timing of the images.

And, out of curiosity, as I will probably use a different method - how do I find out what commands can be used as parameters for show()? I read the docs at <https://pillow.readthedocs.io/en/5.1.x/reference/Image.html#PIL.Image.Image.show>, but I am none the wiser.