Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Besides, it is certainly not true that there are no OSes that can deal with NULs in file names. Classic Mac OS can, as filenames there are represented as Pascal strings (a length byte followed by an array of arbitrary bytes), not NUL-terminated C strings.

There's even a way you could potentially tell the classic
Mac file manager API to create a filename with a colon in
it, by using the (volume reference number, directory id,
filename) way of specifying a file.

I don't know whether it would have succeeded, though --
I suspect it would have rejected such a file name as
invalid.

--
Greg